Having clean windows makes for a more beautiful and healthier home, but that involves getting your window tracks clean, too. Window tracks are what hold your window in place and allow for smooth opening and closing. However, the grooves and cracks can house dust, dirt, and bugs, leading to difficulty sliding your windows or warping. Keeping your window tracks clean prevents you from needing new ones and bacteria and mold from growing in them.
How to Clean Window Tracks with Vinegar and Baking Soda
To clean window tracks with vinegar and baking soda, follow our helpful guide below.
Window Track Cleaning Tools Needed
- Vacuum cleaner
- White vinegar
- Baking soda
- Microfiber cloth
- Spray bottle
- Cotton ball
- Paper towel
- Knife or chopstick
- Dishwashing Detergent
Steps for Cleaning
- Step 1: Use the vacuum to clean the tracks of any loose debris.
- Step 2: Lightly dust the tracks with baking soda to help remove trapped dirt.
- Step 3: Use a cleaning mixture of dish washing detergent, water, and white vinegar to spray the window tracks where the baking soda was placed. In five minutes, when the concoction bubbles, use the toothbrush to get all the stubborn debris out.
- Step 4: Use a knife, chopstick, or cotton ball to get into narrower areas.
- Step 5: When finished, clean and dry the windowsills with a paper towel or microfiber cloth to make sure nothing else remains in the window tracks.
How to Clean Window Tracks with a Garment Steamer
The second way of cleaning window tracks involves a clothing or garment steamer if you do not have baking soda and vinegar or prefer this way instead. This process only involves four tools and will teach you how to get the dirt out of your window tracks in a fast and easy-to-follow set of steps.
Window Track Cleaning Tools Required
- A garment steamer
- Vacuum with a crevice tool
- Distilled water
- Microfiber cloths
- Step 1: Add distilled water to the steamer to get it ready.
- Step 2: Use a vacuum with a crevice tool to do an initial cleaning of the tracks.
- Step 3: Use the steamer to remove any of the leftover dirt and debris.
- Step 4: As a final check, use microfiber cloths that will trap any loose debris.
- Step 5: Repeat previous steps as needed until window tracks are clean to your liking.
Tips for How to Clean Window Tracks
While there are basically two methods for cleaning inside window tracks, there are also some important tips to keep in mind that may help get your window tracks cleaner and make the process easier:
- Start with cleaning your windows first. Doing this before you clean your tracks will help prevent your windows from becoming immediately dirty again. Since the windows rest on the tracks, wiping them down after you’ve cleaned the tracks will make dirt fall right back into them. Starting with clean windows will prevent you from having to redo the tracks.
- Avoid using paper to clean your windows as this method may not get into the narrower areas of the tracks. If the paper rips, small pieces could get lodged in the tracks.
- Use rain repellent for cleaner windows. Rain or water repellent spray not only works well for your car windows; it can help your home windows with rain spots.
- It is generally recommended to clean your windows twice a year. Starting with clean windows can help you maintain clean window tracks. However, circumstances like intense weather conditions or allergies may require you to clean your windows more often. In some cases, every month might be best, but you may find every three months works for you.
- Vacuuming your curtains is a simple way to stop dust from floating around in the air.
Let Professional Window Cleaners Sort Out Your Problem
We don’t always have time in our busy schedules to clean our homes as much as we should (or would like to). Also, learning how to clean mold from window tracks can be intimidating. However, you don’t need to sacrifice the cleanliness of your home just because you don’t have time. Rest assured by contacting Evergreen Window Cleaning to help get your windows and window tracks looking beautiful again.
Call Evergreen Window Cleaning for Crystal Clear Windows
Evergreen Window Cleaning strives to ensure that customers are completely satisfied with the appearance of their windows, whether for commercial or residential properties. Put your trust in the best and book a consultation with Evergreen Window Cleaning today!